So far, I have survived one interview.
It has been strange to sit and answer the questions that are thrown at you one after another. I want something far more personal, but I know that these churches are interviewing way too many applicants at once. Yet, the interview does hardly any justice to one's talents and potential.
One question was about one's involvement in their community. To answer that is to assume that I have had time for community in the past few years as I have averaged 16 credits a semester. I am unsure my answer will hardly do justice to the question or to the wanted reply, but still I put forth my ambitions, what I would love to be involved in, and ultimately challenged to more involved. And we wonder why burn out is so high amongst pastors.
With that being said, it needs to be said that pastors, or soon to be pastors are not Jesus. Jesus left us community because it takes the entire church body to do what Jesus did in his few years of ministry. Where the pastor can point the way to show how this is to be done, they cannot be the only one doing it. So yes, I am involved in the community. I am a pastor who prays for God's voice to be heard in your household. I am the pastor who preaches that we are all called to be part of the priesthood. And I am the pastor who ultimately says that we are all called to carry our cross. And though this call may be intimidating, it is no more intimidating than the yoke of Americanism Christian's take on in the states. This American yoke is heavy, burdened by business and noise. But, when we take up our cross, we set ourselves against Americanism - We take on a yoke that is easy and a burden that is light.
So church, take up your cross. And my involvement in the community is no longer one of my own, but is the church being the body that Jesus called us to. I am simply the messenger to remind you of the body's mission.
No comments:
Post a Comment