Monday, March 14, 2011

A Couple More Interviews

Over the past two weeks I have had two more interviews. The only bad part about it is that I do not think I have received any more or less conformation about where I am going next.

One interview was with a small church in Southern Minnesota. The interview was very strange because I felt like the committee was giving leading questions, but I could not discern what those questions were leading to and what answers they were looking for. What I could discern is that they are looking for an executive pastor that would be able to lead their church through the different times a church life from preaching to pastoral care and other activities. I think there was a little bit of disappointment amongst them as they were starting with another candidate. They did mention that they have had two neutral pulpits, so I am guessing they had been turned down and may be getting a little burned out. I then found out that they may be offering a call to another candidate, so I found it strange that they were still taking new candidates. I suppose they were covering all their bases.

The second interview was with a Presby church in Manhattan, KS. It would be primarily youth to young adults as an associate. They asked a lot of questions of how would you reach this population. It was more about programs and activities and less about an overall theology about discipleship. I was very excited about this position when I was first referring my PIF to this church, but my excitement has faded after waiting so long to get in touch with me. They said they would let me know tomorrow (March 15) about where they would be going from here. I guess, in my mind, I was thinking this interview would be a lot more confirming, but I am not sure it was.

I am still waiting to hear back from the church in Overland Park (Kansas City), but that should happen sometime this week. My biggest request for all of you that may be reading this is for your prayer support. I have thought that I would have a bead on where God is calling us by this point in the conversations with churches, but I really don't. Combining that with the different amendments that the PC(USA) is voting on right now has been very discouraging for me. Sometimes the politics and hoops that one has to jump through to get where one believes God is calling him or her is far more difficult than I would like.

So here goes nothing. Here goes everything. But Lord, please watch over all of us, especially those affected by the natural disasters in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment